Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

Our family turned out en force, 16 strong. We were missing only my younger brother and his wife as they opted to spend this holiday with the other side of his family. That is what happens when your family grows. Either your holiday meal grows, or you loose a couple. We gained Dan this year, so I imagine his family back in Australia felt his absense. I was thankful for the addition.
My remission from cancer made #1 this year on things to be thankful for, and I was grateful to have the energy to host the meal at my house. We held hands and huggged and went around the circle, Obasan being in the middle, as she is still feeling the effects of a stroke some 10 years ago, saying things that we were thankful for. Family bonds were mentioned more than once and I think Obasan felt the effects as she smiled almost as much as I did just by being surrounded by love. I was grateful for the turnout. Todd, my older brother, has been so busy that I think it is the first time in the past six months that I have seen him and they only live in Kent! Sandy, his wife, came down early to help me put everything together. Candice and Chris, their children, drove down together, as Chris isn't driving anymore. Becky, my oldest sister, and I have been spending time studying Cancer 101 as she has gone through the testing process only to discover what we already suspected, that there is the family gene and she has tested positive to Brach 1, meaning it runs in the family-now what to do? Her husband, Tsuneto, has diabetes and works long hours and is frequently not able to attend, but both he and daughter, Karissa, didn't have to work so were able to come. Her husband is in Afganistan and we prayed for his safe return. Cameron, their son, rode his motorcycle in the freezing cold. Steve's sister, Elaine and husband, Bill drove down from Blaine with dog Freida-a new pal for our new grandpuppy Mylo-and lots of goodies for snacking (food was plenty). Sean flew home from LA, and Dan and Erica brought Mylo who captured everyones heart. Health really is on the top of the to-be-thankful-for list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your entire klan. They all have much to be thankful for. I think we all feel blessed for your amazing outcome. Jeff

Anonymous said...

Kerry--so great to read of your last test results. This was an intense experience these past many months. Remission --what a beautiful word. hugs--Misty

Janet Mead said...

Kerry,
Wow, you really are blessed! My heart smiled to read of your incredibly positive news. And we are all blessed that you have shared your challenges and triumphs in navigating this unknown territory. Thanks for being such an inspiration! Now go enjoy the holidays...you definitely deserve it!!!
Janet Mead