Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bailey

Last nite we went down to the Casita for dinner, prepared by our guest and new in-laws, Maryann and Laurie. I boosted Bailey into the car. She had spent the day alone and seemed to be needing some attention, but not demanding it. She left her dinner uneaten at home and I knew she was having another bad day-they were getting progressively worse, but I didn't really want to know what was going on with her and she rallied each time I thought she was sick enough to merrit a trip to the vet (she is nearly 12) where I was sure he would just tell me that she was old and had arthitus. She got out of the car slowly and made her way down to the Casita where dinner was being prepared. The smells were enough to rally her attentions. I cooked a special chicken dinner for her then she went outside and drank a ton of water out of the trough in the backyard and came in to collapse on the floor inside. It was enough just to have the family surrounding her and as usual she never complained, but it was evident that she was not feeling well. We took turns sitting on the floor next to her and petting her as there isn't couch space for 6 people. She got more attention than usual, especially at the dinner hour. Finally it came time to go home and she couldn't get up-not even an attempt. We decided that we had to make that trip to the vet. Laurie helped me carry her to the car and gently set her in the back. Erica voluteered to accompany me. We talked on the way about the deterioration of Bailey's health. I have journeyed alongside of her through surgery and recovery and she has mimmicked my attitude. First she would be tired and lethargic with no appetite, then she would eat a special meal and seem fine again, or have difficulty with her digestive system and bowel movements. Ups and downs, and I felt she was going through cancer right along with me. I prayed for her to rally for me and she did! She maintained that positive, carefree spirit each step of the way right through the vow ceremony, but last nite she could hold out no longer.
The vet came back into the room after examing Bailey. The xrays showed our greatest fears were true-she had a large tumor and some liver problems, anemic and weary, she would not last the nite without surgery, and was probably too weak to survive the surgery. Erica and I had to make a tough decision. We went back into the cold examining room to say our goodbyes. Erica left and I remained to hold her head and make sure she knew how much we loved her as she fearlessly went to sleep. She will be sorely missed.

6 comments:

rita said...

Oh! how she will be missed. I have become accustomed to her sweet face, coming over to say "hi" and get a hug when she was out and saw me in the front garden, we would chat and walk back over to her gate to be sure she was safe and home...now she is safe from her pain too in her new place...rita

Domino said...

You know me and dogs, this Saturday I handled a 14 month old MinPin to Reserve Winners Dog @ the Freeport Dog Show, his name is Homey. He has a terrible bite. But we had a great time especially my mother. Let's plan a surfing trip soon as the weather starting to get cold out here.
Love,
Domino & Lilly

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry,

I am so very sorry for your loss. The pain and emptiness are indescribable. Now she too is in my prayers

h
Hugs,

Jeff

petagi said...

Kerry,
I am so sorry about your loss---you sure didn't need this too
Hugs
Agi

Marla said...

It was so good to see you yesterday out jogging with Sharon Scott (and it was great to meet her too, as she has been a rock star in your blog!). You look GREAT, girl, and I love the fuzz! All of the strength of my prayers for good news from the doc, too! Please tell your sonnie-boy that Marlon is so excited about his internship!! He said, "AWESOME" in his text to me (I said, "Cool", but that ain't stickin' in 2007), and is THRILLED for him - as Bubba knows what an internship can turn into!!!! On another note, I too was sad to read about Bailey! Do you remember my Shadow that I used to run with? She got me thru the end of my marriage with all of those runs (she would have told you that it was by her sleeping not ON my bed....but IN my bed - giant Husky, under the covers - she would kick them off in a bad dream - with her head on the former-Mark-pillow, next to me). The snore was a tad different...Anyhoo - every time I hear about a pet dying - I "run with Shadow" one more time, so I will do the same for Bailey and you tonight!!!!! Take care and love to your family!!!!

Email address: marlastewart1@msn.com

Dawn said...

I think I heard today is Happy Birthday to you day!! If not, we'll just celebrate anyway!

I am so sorry to hear about Bailey. We lost both of our 12 year old dogs this summer, and I am always looking around to give a treat or scraps, only to sigh and be grateful for the memories!

Speaking of memories, I hope your day is full of good ones, and that you create more today! We are here rooting for you, Kerry. You are so loved!

Dawn