Monday, October 1, 2007

The Eternal Optomist & Monterey

This title I stole from a reread of an email I received from a dear friend approaching the 2nd chemo and it is particularly appropriate as I fly on the anniversary of 9/11 with no fears or doubts. (Actually I later discovered I was flying on 9/9 but thinking it was 2 days later-wonder if the travel traffic was any different).
It has been an inspirational weekend as I have been gifted a trip to Monterey to spectate and cheer for Sharon Scott, a good friend and coworker at JL Scott, and my coparticipant in the challenge of the 2002 San Diego marathon with Team in Training, benefiting blood cancers.
The trip itself was for me a bit of a triathalon as I managed to squeeze in time for the triathalon with the Sharon's family (Glatz), visit with my 2nd family-the Regis' from 7th grade in Japan, and have some alone time to go inward. All legs of the event were inspirational.
I packed for a short 3 day weekend with minimal baggage to carry on. With no need for hair product and minimal cosmetics it was easy to get through security, but clothing needs were harder to pack for than the previous 7 day trip to Hawaii where flip flops and bathing suit and cover up would have been enough. I knew there would be shoes to pack as I planned to run alongside and cheer at each transition zone Sharon crossed. There would be dancing and celebration at the finish, and there would be eating out with the fashion conscious Glatz's whom I had never traveled with before.
I love getting on the airplane. When it lifts off I am on a new journey. My mind can leave behind worries, cares, and stresses of the past and begin focus on NOW. The return flight brings me back to home and family for which I am eternally grateful.
The morning of the triathalon I awoke early as if I were participating. I had been communicating mentally with Sharon as I have felt prerace jitters myself in the past and was hoping to connect before the race. I quietly exited the hotel room and left Laurie sleeping, to get some fresh air and try a short run. The marine layer left a dense fog near shore and the sea lions were already barking. A few homeless people were picking up their possessions from the beach. The rythemic waves hitting the beach were conducive of a run to keep the pace. I texted Sharon to see if she was up yet. No answer. I headed north in the direction I believed the race would be and looked for the start line. No one in the hotel could find a race course map and the website hadn't been much help either. 15 minutes out and still no signs, I headed back towards the hotel. Participants were then headed on their bikes south towards the light house. I met Sharon briefly-she had had a restless nite but seemed ready to rock and we headed our own directions to prepare for the race and rally the troups.
We rounded up our cheer leading paraphernalia-"Go Sharon" signs, air tubes to bang together, and special "Go Iguana Girl" shirts that Lori had custom made and walked down the oceanfront pathway towards the start line.
sea lions were barking and basking in the shallow water seemingly waving at us. I couldn't imagine the previous days training kelp pulling with sea life swimming underneath and just 2 days prior a shark attack on a surfer-the 1st in over 10 years-right off Lover's Point-the swim zone. MY adrenaline was racing!
The street was lined with spectators moving about to get the best vantage point for the wave and event they were cheering for. We worked our way to the beach edge and arrived front and center just as Sharon exited the water. "Go Sharon"! I don't think she even heard us-how could she have missed us? we were right in her face. I ran to see if I could beat her to the next transition area where she would emerge from that chaotic zone on her bike. The course wound around twice on the swim leg, 4 times on the bike leg, and 3 times on the run leg so spectator positioning was great! If we missed one cycle we would certainly have other opportunities to see Sharon come around again and again with renewed encouragement. Each time Sharon appeared to be in her own zone, barely looking up to take away from her determined focus. Finally the run, the last kick. 3 times around the track. We moved from the transition zone down the course. Surely Sharon would need our cheering after such grueling events. I made my way down the course to see if I could run a spell and help pick up the pace but doubted myself as I saw Sharon come pounding strong down the pavement. I ran a short way the 2nd lap but found I couldn't keep pace even for a short distance. I was excited for how much energy Sharon had-she was on pace and looking good. The final lap I was so excited to run in 100 yards and see her finish strong! Next year -we'd both come back!
Debbie came down with Vaghn (her greyhound). An exhilarating moment for all of us. Veteran Team in Training participants and now cancer survivor too! We hugged, glad to be fully alive. Deb and I took off to Carmel to see her parents and catch up on old times. Sharon stayed to cheer on her teammates, and the Glatz family returned to enjoy Monterey for a few hours until we would rendezvous for the celebration dinner and dancing later that evening, and celebration it was as we-the Glatz's and me , closed down the dance floor.
Sharon's celebration wasn't quite as sweet as she had hoped. Her boyfriend of 4 plus years had abandoned the journey and a broken heart might make for a good race, but leaves emptiness in the final hurrah. The next morning I would leave to return home and Glatz's would continue on to celebrate Lou and Ron's 47th anniversary in Napa wine country!

No comments: