Thursday, October 11, 2007

Last chemo-NOT

Monday I went to the oncology/radiology floor at the Swedish Center to get a pet scan and CT scan to determine what the next step would entail. Optimistically I had been announcing that I was all better and that I would be canceling my scheduled chemo the 11th-only a few days later, but realistically the doctor had warned me not to count on 6 (treatments) as the final count. The testing entailed new IV (they couldn't use my port), drinking a cool aid type drink and 1/2 and resting for 45 minutes to let it all absorb (not to mention the previous days diet of no sugar, high fat and carbs, and no exercise-boy was that a switch! All to prep for best absorption by the tumors of the radioactive sugar water I drank that would illuminate any tumors found in the pet scan. Then prone on to a metal board in a cold room that would slide me in and out of a rounded plastic hollowed out log all the while taking 1800 photos to be read by the radiologist. Fortunately I was allowed to wear my fuzzy warm hat and a warm blanket over hospital pj's, so the cold was not a problem. No music this time, and fairly quiet. The pet scan took about 18 minutes and the entire process I was made to raise my arms up over my head and hold them there while my hand went numb and cold as I held the stretch-I wondered how inflexible folks made it through this process-I do yoga and think I am better than average in this department but was very relieved to be done! The CT scan in contrast took less than 8 minutes and I could have my arms at my side.
The results were to be done in an hour, but my doctor was not back from vacation, so I had to wait a full day and a half for the call. "Hi, this is Dr Kaplan calling". "Great, I know you have good news", I answered. "Yes, I do." I was sure I was going to be cancelling my appt for chemo the next day. The pet scan is clean, but there are 2 little spots showing on the CT scan and we cannot tell if it is scar tissue or residual tumors so we would like to go through a couple more treatments and do another CT scan to make sure. "OK, I think I can handle that." "So, let me verify that. A couple, meaning 2, another CT, not another Pet, scan, and we can be done?". That is the new plan.
Today was my scheduled chemo date and I got my blood work done and port hooked up readying for the appt. There was time today to do a puzzle with Erica, who came with me this time. 2 hours later I was dismissed for a shot to boost my white blood cell counts so that I could reschedule another postponed chemo. Now I go in on Saturday (not the way I wanted to spend a weekend) with 2 additional shots to boost my immunity. But at least I have been able to keep on track and the news is GREAT. I am feeling recharged.
I went to Gilda's club tonight to meet a fellow cancer survivor and listen to a talk on neuropathy-a nerve symptom of the chemo that I have been experiencing lately-numbing of the feet, in my case, not painful but bothersome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Connecticut is smiling ear to ear!

You are the BEST!

Love,

Jeff

george said...

Your courage and positive attitude are inspirations for us all. What wonderful news, but what a hard way to have to digest it. You know how much love there is out here for you. George and Sue