Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Flying High

Wish I had a picture for this one, but Steve took it on his cell phone and I don't yet know how to get it out of that box...
Steve and I went down to my brother, Todd's house last Sunday to celebrate the spring birth dates of my 2 brothers, niece, brother-in-law, and nephew. We are not doing presents anymore due to the economy, but we never fail to find reasons to feast-as if last weeks Easter feast wasn't enough. This time we arrived early so that I would not miss a ride on Todd's newly painted kit airplane (Steve still won't venture out in this plane and is scared to have me fly either and constantly kids about the leftover screws).
Todd and I were both eager to get up in the air, and I had no expectations for the trip other than a buzz over Crest airfield where Todd lives, since that is what every other waiting person has gotten. But, I was there early, and no one was waiting, nor were there any inclement weather warnings so Todd must have decided to show me the best time-something I would remember.
We climbed into the 2 seat er plane and seat belted ourselves in as Todd explained the instrument panel in front of us and put on his headphones, and Steve stood by taking pictures on his cell phone (I was surprised he was even watching). We taxied down the runway, lifting off and turning south toward majestic Mt Rainier. We had to get out of Kent first and sailed at 175mph over a multitude of lakes with beaver debree-no boats yet-sprawling farms, and a few small towns that dissipated into wilderness, all the while the sun smiling brightly on us. I simply asked if Todd ever flew by Mt Rainier and he must have took it to mean I wanted to go in that direction because we headed straight for it in it's full glory. The summit was circled by linen white fluffy stacked clouds that Todd explained meant there were high winds and we shouldn't get too near, nevertheless we weaved through mountain tops closer than I had imagined we would as I recalled the days before I learned to drive when Todd fearlessly took me for 360 spins in his Austin Healey on ice in the parking lot. Perhaps to ease any tension I might have, Todd explained we had plenty of room above the treetops, and were staying right within the valley so as to have ample room for turning around. As we approached I could see the glaciers on the mountain and was in awe of the deep turquoise blue coloring I had only seen once before from a cruise ship in Alaska. The avalanche danger was so much more apparent from this angle. "Where is Crystal ski area",I asked, and Todd banked the plane. "Do you think anyone is climbing?", and he showed me the ridge past Paradise where climbers would be, but we saw no one. I could imagine the assent to the summit, the heavens, but remembered the comment about the clouds and winds and avalanche danger and was glad no one was out risking their lives. I turned my head to see a huge waterfall cascading down the mountain as we cruised through another valley, then suddenly I saw 3 white mountain goats jumping up the rocks and excitedly pointed them out to Todd who immediately turned abruptly around leaving my stomach in my throat only to find they had hidden from sight. "Last week I saw a herd of elk" he said, and we headed in the direction they had last been sited. "Look down there, there is an airfield, see the white strip?" It was covered with snow and we headed down as if to land...a near touch and go, I held my breath, and we headed up again. Beautiful! Out of the valley between the forested mountains, we banked south and spotted the herd of elk laying in the field. Todd returned to buzz the herd who pretended not to see us and lay lazily in the sun. Amazing that you found them again! Wow. It had been nearly an hour, and I was sure that Steve thought we must have crashed, but we landed without a bump from the most amazing ride of my life. Thanks Todd, for a beautiful gift. You are extremely talented.

No comments: