Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Yesterday was the perfect day! Dan called me early in the week and asked whether I wanted breakfast, or dinner, or both-and began the plans for the day. It was decided that we would meet early for a bike ride (I am so glad the weather cooperated and the sun was shining brightly) and stop at the Roanoke for breakfast. The whole family attended and we rode leisurely around the Island stopping for bloody marys, pancakes, omelette's and coffee. Steve wanted to know who was getting the truck and picking him up, but since it was my day we all continued around to finish the 13 mile loop.
Robin had promised to take us sailing if the weather cooperated but the gang didn't all want to come along so I called Sandy to see what her plans were and she slipped away to join us on the boat from Everett Marina. It was a calm day and we motored out of the harbor past lazy seals on the buoy toward Hat Island and Camano and the wind steadily picked up as the day went along. Rob showed me how his fancy computer system works to guide the boat (I did wonder if anyone could get us back if he fell overboard and we had to tack around a pick him up). We were engrossed in the I tunes he had on the computer and my theme song for the yer was readily available-"Lively up yourself" (Bob Marley). We drank wine and told jokes and caught up on family gossip as we reminisced about MOM. We had a gut busting, pee in your pants, moment-times like that don't happen every day, and we cruised back into port as the clouds rolled in.
Sean, Erica and Dan were preparing dinner at the Casita, and I invited extra guests-Todd & Sandy, Karen and Robin. We stopped at the store to add to the menu (I believe in the loaves and the fishes-somehow the food always seems bountiful), but I am sure my spontaneity leaves some in the lurch. Fortunately no one freaked out, stayed calm and flexible, and made my day the best ever!

No comments: