Monday, May 25, 2009

A Rollin' Stone Gathers no Moss

That's what we used to sing as kids along with the records we played, and now I actually get it! I was thinking how stuck I could get just laying in bed and succumbing to the sick feeling that I awoke with-hoping that if I just pulled the covers back over my head the bad taste in my mouth would just go away. After awhile of missing master swim workouts, not running, feeling too dizzy to either drive or ride my bike,not seeing my friends who have gone off on vacation, and feeling sorry for myself, I rolled out of bed and began making appointments with people I knew would get me going in the morning. Not to mention that this is the nicest weekend and great introduction to the glorious summer that is ahead of us...9am and the skies were dark and the heat of the previous day had dissipated to a cool cloudy morning as we launched the kayaks. The water was not glass as I had hoped, but Sandy met me beaming with enthusiasm for a sport she had not attempted before. The eagles soared overhead and we headed across the lake to see if we could find turtles on the eastern banks of the Lake. Nearly a half hour later and many giggles and photos on Sandy's new phone (glad she didn't drop it in the water) later, the sun burst through the clouds and we were off to a grand weekend. Penny called me to get Mylo, my granddog who is visiting while her parents are off to the Gorge camping and partying, out for a walk with her dog Marley. When you have a dog you have to get out for walks or listen to them bark-in Mylo's case. She has ceaseless energy when it comes to fetching balls.
The later part of the day saw more traffic on the lake which Sean accommodated by taking me out on the boat. Then back to the Casita for a barbecue. It doesn't get much better.
Now that I have cleaned up a few of those 100/day emails, I can get ready to leave town for California to be assured of sunshine (altho I hear that the weather is staying nice here-it figures) for the entire week I will be gone.
How fast does the stone have to roll to gather no moss? I was imagining a feather being tossed in the air and watching it float slowly to the ground. Or a maple tree whirley that swirls around and around; each eventually end up on the ground unless caught by another breeze and tossed into the air again, only to gather moss when they finally settle.

No comments: