Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rainbows and butterflies

It is graduation time! I have been asked to speak at the "relay for life" assembly at the High School at the end of the month where the kids have raised funds for the American Cancer society and will walk for pledged amounts for 24 hours, camping out along the way. I have been thinking about what of inspiration I have to say. I remember receiving a card for graduation (funny that one would even stick in my mind after all these years). It was a beautiful rainbow on the front and when you opened the card, multicolored butterflies flew from the rainbow and disbursed out into the sky-I think there might have been a boy with a net running to catch the butterflies but that part is not so vivid. My dreams this morning were of rainbows-the darkness of the full spectrum of colors at one end, the absence of color-white light at the opposite end of the spectrum. I see the sun coming up and the colors are becoming vibrant-spring is in the air. These all create warmth and clarity in a path I would like to follow-the path towards life-the white end of the spectrum. Life along the way is full of many colors and directions but we are guided by the light and sunk by darkness.
Last night after wrestling with post chemo side effects, I shared some mood enhancing drugs with a friend who suffers with MS. I have been reluctant to take drugs of any sort, chemo included, but the effects are night and day, so sharing is the a natural. I have to laugh when we talked about natural childbirth and our past experience with drugs-I was the natural childbirth advocate-feel the pain-don't drug the baby. Now we are all about applying all of our education and utilizing western and eastern methods of pain reduction and healing. Our international affiliations are helpful in studing effects of treatments that have been effective but not tested for years overseas. New studies are popping up daily in this country as the FDA sorts out what is dangerous and what is acceptable for people in this country. Since I am privy to a diverse culture here in the pacific northwest, I benefit by all sorts of techniques and remedies-yoga, acupuncture, wine, pot, massage, monavie.
What stands out in the whole picture is the attitude with which you embrace life. If you want to see the light, you have to follow it and know that it is there. The cloud will go away, but the sun is behind the cloud. I have a healing yoga tape Jodi Wes gave to me-I think she should practice with me-she is a yoga master-and it starts with breathing centering exercise, then reminds us to release our inner tensions and anxioties and forgive, remember what we are greatful for. Gratitude and abundance-we have! "Every decision I make is a choice between a grievance and a miracle" I choose the miracle. When I focus on the abundance and the miracles I am rich! Gotta go do my yoga. I have to practice on you all and write a speach for the 30th. Let me know what resonates with you and what might inspire a high school graduate-and NO, Sean, I don't need to get attention mentioning pot at the HS.

No comments: