Thursday, June 5, 2008

moving

The whole moving business requires a lot of psychology. Giving up a space where memories have taken place-whether good or bad-is a difficult thing. Going through all the stuff as you pack refreshes those memories. If you are like me, the process can drag out so much longer than you had anticipated because of all the detours that come along memory lane while the packing, decluttering, and organizing are going on. I consult people in the moving process as my business but I learn so much along the route.
This past month our duplex had a vacancy and the previous tenant helped me ready the space for the next tenant. At the same time, Erica and Dan are moving into their new home (painting and getting things operational), wedding plans are formalizing and getting down to last minute details, my fashion show and speech events took top billing, we bought new furniture so our own house had some reorganization going on, I still had a chemo treatment to fit in, we were finalizing our wills, and new applicants needed to be interviewed. I started listening to time management tapes and prioritizing events-I was on overload! All I could see was cash flow issues. I needed to spend more time on work, but life got in the way.
Today I can check most of those accomplishments off my list, but the duplex vacancy hasn't been filled. I have met some very interesting folks in the process and am still saying good bye to past inhabitants. I thought that I had the place rented and spent a lot of time and energy discovering credit checks and criminal reports are not easy to get anymore. As of May 1st, as a landlord or property manager, you have to get both your place of business and your rental unit checked out by the credit check agency (all in good faith I am sure due to all the identity theft issues). I finally had to turn the applicant down because I did persist on getting a credit report which was personally furnished, and turned out to be unacceptable after many conversations to the contrary. I looked at the application once again as I called to say I was sorry to have to turn him down-the name said it all-Phuc Vu.
The previous tenant's girlfriend has left behind belongings. She claims to have nowhere to live now and wants time to find space for her stuff. Today I can clear my mind to think about how to handle this one! Homeless! Today I can be thankful to have a place to call home-one that is not being reposessed!

1 comment:

brent mitchell said...

Thanks for continuing with a most inspiring update of your ongoing progress! I am amazed of the true compassion and enlightenment that is shared with every posting. Do you ever sleep anymore? Take care and kerri on, Chel's Dad