Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The accountant-Sudoku-Love

Today is our last full day in paradise Yesterday was gorgeous-we booked our family on the Trade WindsII, the smaller boat without the colorful "look at me" sail. The day was beautiful, sunny-we had plenty of suntan lotion (from long ago remembered sunburn days we left with mental notes to reapply even though we all love tan-tan is beautiful). We went to 2 tranquil coves to snorkel, the water was calm and the reefs filled with familiar fish (for me anyhow). I tried free diving and discovered that I could go the depths without any pains if I breathed right (no headache) and didn't make any jerky moves that hurt my healing abdominal scar. We were lucky enough to get to go into the lava tubes with our snorkel dive masataer who lead us into the darkness until we had to wait for our eyes to adjust then explained how in ancient times, a Hawaiian who had broken the law had to run from warriers who would kill them, to a sacred place (base I call it) on the island where they would then go through a repentance ritual and be returned into society, if they made it alive. Divers who knew these lava tubes had distinct advantages since they could rest from pursuing landlocked warriers, and hide unseen.
The captain was all excited when he heard that I had spotted a rare and ugly "moon fish" on my snorkeling escapade saying that those fish were easily traded for other good lute because they taste so good-only to find out that my Moon fish was Sean swimming dolphin stroke beneath me with his shorts down to his knees and moon flashing me from below.
All too soon the boat was headed back to port with a stop at Captain Cook's monument and more Hawaiian history lure. We had managed escaping severe sunburn but I later noticed a line around my head and Sean figured ot it was my mask line on my bald head!

We had an invitation to residents and residents guests cocktail hour at the Resident's Beach house which we took the golf cart down to on our return. We stopped at the Canoe Club thinking that was the spot and soon discovered they weren't one in the same so continued down the beach path to find a lively group with poo poos and drinks already jolly in conversation. The golf carts were so numerous that we had a waiter volunteer to valet park for us.
Dan, who had arrived the previous day, sporting his hot pink cast and dark shades, got immediate attention. Steve had opted to stay at home as social hours are not his thing. We mingled with very interesting people, a great network group for the kids who soaked up stories from the people there who had made their wealth from various trades and were now enjoying the spoils of their plunders. "Mooch party"-that is what one guest termed the event. I think we scored a wealth of information in the hour along with free coctails (and I do mean free-no one, we soon discovered, was even tipping) and poo poos. We learned that Michael Dell-of Dell computer fame, was responsible for the entire development. Nice to hob-nob with the rich and famous altho he was not in attendence, they do this reception every Monday- someone knew him.
We cruised home in our golf cart for dinner with Steve at 7:30 (the place shuts down at 9:30). Steve had been expecting us by 7 and was beyond cajoling into joining us at that point and apparently happy to enjoy TV by himself. Sometimes I really don't understand how 2 such different people can be so right for each other, but after 30 years of marriage I have learned that we do not ever give up on each other!

Which brings me to the original analogy I was thinking of as I got up this morning...Sudoku.
Well slowly, I guess, like a building wave of thoughts, the churning went like this...
"This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." My mother used to recite this one many mornings to wake us kids up. In paradise it is easy to believe all is beautiful with the world. I guess that is why so many people vacation here but why not live here?
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Another biblical quote I recite to myself when things aren't going the way want. so I thought about sudoku. Steve loves to play the game. He, like most men I know, likes to have a set solution to the problem. He will dilligently work through things I readily give up on knowing and believing there is a set solution to the problem. This is a great thing in a marriage. One to remember when times get rough and giving up seems like the sane way to go. Sometimes we start the entire puzzle over again but it is a challenge worth redoing because when the solution is acheived, the resulting feelings of accomplishment are worth the efforts.
So it is when I am frustrated with relationships I sometimes begin again with renewed determinations. What drew me to the relationsip to begin with? What am I looking for in a relationship and what has changed? Stop and review as soon as things look wrong. Perhaps it is just one small square that needs correcting. Have patience, tomorrow is another beautiful day...

No comments: