Saturday, July 21, 2007

New support team

Wanda, my new support team partner, was diagnosed with cancer nearly the same time as I, and today I was able to meet with her. She has struggled with chemo side affects that I had limited exposure to and I feel for her in a way that only a survivor can relate to. We bonded in a new way. I showed her my naked head, and she rallied to spontaneously shave her shedding head and honored my by allowing me to snip a lock. We joked about the pharmacy we both have on our dirty kitchen counters, and what works and what doesn't, talked about recycling the flower vases that surely the Mercer Island Florist (thanks Diane) must think is going to the morgue-ha ha, we LIVE though the flowers die (and thank you to all you from both of us to those who have sent flowers-they are beauty for a fleeting moment in time), and I left with a new matching silk scarf, and a new resolution to live each moment as best we can. Can't wait to be with you again-I believe in you Wanda. You rock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry!

Just found your blog and read it coast to coast. Yes, they're all true, the comments about your great writing and inspiration. I met you, Steve and Sean 10 years ago this summer for the STP and Rachel and I had a great ride with you all. Now I'm uplifted by how you're making lemonade out of lemons here. You were the jock, the strong finisher on the bike ride ... it will be no different now,

as one survivor to another, you go girl! Byron