Sunday, July 8, 2007

Wind in your hair


Last Saturday Erica was running the garage sale again. Mike Backes came cruising by on his Harley to give me a ride. It was back to the High school days when I was "Motorcycle Mama". The ride was even more comfortable since there was a seat on the back with a backrest, and I had a helmet-it didn't used to be the law that you had to wear a helmet and I loved the wind in my hair. Saturday I had no hair and my head would have either gotten sunburned, or chilled, or both if I didn't have that awesome helmet that made me look so cool. We cruised to Alki beach and visited Jean and Roland at their beachfront house. On the ride home we took the beach strip route where I must have counted a dozen Harleys. As they passed they gave us the special low five wave saved for other Harley drivers. Good thing it wasn't this week when the Seafair Pirates landed and traffic was at a standstill.
I had been listening (and singing along, I admit) to the title track "Live like you are dying". In the past that song makes me cry, and now so even more, but I love it anyway. In the song, a son asks his father what he did when he received the diagnosis that he was dying, and his father answers-"I went sky diving, I went Rocky Mountain climbing, I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu. And I loved deeper, and I spoke sweeter, and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying. And I hope you get the chance to live like you are dying."
The song and the Harley ride were just the ticket to make the day even more beautiful...thanks Mike for taking me away.

1 comment:

AnnieM said...

you're still a motorcycle mama, no one will deny! you rock, Kerry!