Friday, March 5, 2010

Dark Shadows

Song of the day: Friday Afternoon by Credance Clearwater Revival.
Did you ever watch that sitcom? Dark Shadows? or am I dating myself?

I am jumping ahead on the day and reflecting on yesterday (maybe the Beattle's song should be the song of the day-Yesterday) I attended a session at Guild's Club (the cancer network place to be for support groups, information and activities for distraction and growth) last night. The topic was preparing for and recovering from surgery. I have had my surgery already, but with this cancer, you never know when they will surprise you and opt for another one-TODAY. There never seems to be any time to sit with the idea of having your body carved up and how scarey that can be. The 20 some odd attendees were from all walks of life and the 1 1/2 hr time frame went by quickly. I went with Jean who also has ovarian cancer and is in remission now and we chatted up a storm both over and back since she drove. I listened to some stories that seemed hopeless yet these people were here with their caregivers and spouses and full of information. The leader was a therapist and survivor herself with the same genetic mutation that I have (BRACA1). I started daydreaming about new ways to reach my nirvana and come out from the dark shadows.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Hi Kerry,

Yes - I absolutely remember Dark Shadows - it was one of my favorite shows - we had to sneak out and watch it at our neighbors house since our parents didn't allow us to watch it ;D
Let people know that they don't even need to open a google/gmail account to post comments here - they can simply click on Name/URL and type in their name and leave URL blank.
Love from San Clemente

Anonymous said...

Kerry-
I ordered a DVD today online, which was called "The Living Matrix: the new science of healing".

I got it for Tim, and will pass it on to you as soon as we've watched it. It was exploring the scientific proof that has been surfacing regarding the way we THINK about our health dictating the results of healing. Not really a new message, but the progress that has been made in discovering HOW people manage to override their genetics or seemingly incurable situation to full recovery was what grabbed my attention.

Hopefully they use quick mailing; watch for it on your doorstep or maybe I'll bring it to swim practice soon.

XOXO-
Cory

BarryF said...

Kerry,

I'm thinking/feeling of/for you.


Barry

Margaret said...

Sending you lots of loving energy. Soak up this beautiful sunny weather.