Monday, February 8, 2010

Still Blury

In a spontaneous celebration of another glorious day, Cori, Bonnie, Sue, Jean, Penny, Marilyn, and I ran off to Alki Beach to lunch at Cactus, people watch, walk and commune with each other. It truly was spring weather outside but no one expected to see a lone swimmer strip down to his suit and neoprene swim cap and dive in for a swim in the frigid salt water (45 degree) of the Puget Sound. A very striking, tall woman wearing designer sunglasses and strolling along with her split leash and twin lasso apso dogs gathered side glances. A father walked hand in hand with his fire chief toddler son. We all were the beneficiaries of the glorious day without thought or worry of another buck to be made at the office.

My phone rang just as we arrived at Cactus. It was the nurse at preregistration for tomorrow's Hotel Swedish check in. She fired the same old questions at me that I had answered 4x before in the past week! I paced outside the restaurant, not wanting to interrupt the moment, but knowing I needed to prepare for the upcoming event and just get it over with. Any other calls for the day could wait. Brain surgery doesn't happen every day and after all I do want to make sure they get this one right. Name and spelling? birth date? medications? do you have a life directive? are you an organ donor? history of surgeries?...after about 10 minutes and patience running thin, she asked if I had any questions and I realized I had better pay attention because for this event, I had to be responsible for myself-back to reality when I was trying to run away...

Lunch was fabulous, we walked the beach afterwards, checked out a condo-then I could say I was working-and decided it was time for desert, so off to the French bakery off Main St in Bellevue where we talked about Paris and far off countries and other cultures.

Back on the Island, Mylo waited to be walked but Erica offered to take me with her to feed baby Dyllan who has now graduated to a crib. I captured her picture to review the next couple of days when I will be at ICU Swedish and she at NICU at Overlake. Together in spirit we can conquer anything. Steve and I closed the evening with Netflix "Julie and Julia". I will update when out of the surgery fog in a few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerry,

My prayers are with you during your upcoming surgery. We miss you and Steve - the neighborhood is not the same without you.

Tamae